The first story came from when I saw a picture of my dad smiling at cupcakes. I asked my mom what that was about, and she giggled and said they were the cupcakes from Hades. I thought I had heard her wrong.
Nope.
The cupcakes from Hades.
Apparently, there is a moral story here about what happens when you use items from your food storage. Don't share them with others until after you've made certain they're fine. This story occurred November 8, 2008.
Mom and Dad had a church activity to go to. They first tried to make key lime bars from a box in their food storage. The expiration date was not checked. Mom made the key lime bars, and then haha, they discovered that they were absolutely rancid. Disgusting. Dad says poisonous. They smelled funny, so Mom tasted them and had to rush to the sink. (Mimi thinks this is hilarious, because she was never allowed to spit out food from her mouth when she was little. Granted, the food was not rancid.)
Dad learned from the first mistake and checked the expiration date on the cupcake mix, also from food storage. They were in the clear. Dad made his cupcakes, and they smelled delicious. Mom was very proud; she says it is the first batch he has ever made.
They were running out of time (and didn't want to transport frosted cupcakes) (and the cupcakes hadn't cooled), so they grabbed the frosting and headed to the church to frost them when they got there.
Upon arrival, an empty classroom was grabbed, and they started decorating. (Haha from Mimi.) With a few absolutely delicious cupcakes left to frost, Mom got some frosting on her finger.
So she licked it.
And had to run immediately to the sink again.
The frosting was definitely rancid. They had not checked the expiration date on the frosting. So, they had to throw those away, too. They went over to the store and bought a coconut cake.
(Side note: They had a display at the ward activity that was promoting the temple. It was supposed to be gorgeous and say something about heavenly experiences, but all their dessert attempts were from Hades. Dad says this part is too painful to discuss, so I only have Mom's viewpoint for it.)
Also in November, Mom taught Dad how to bake pies. I think these attempts were much more successful and attractive. Yum yum!
I think the star idea is so cool!
I believe the date on the pies was the end of November, because they were for Thanksgiving.
Dad is getting so domestic!!
1 comment:
What a horrible horrible time they must have had. I'll have to tell Devin this story.
Beautiful, beautiful pie Dad!!
Post a Comment